Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness in the world. Affecting the optic nerve, more than three million adults suffer from glaucoma. At Vicle Eye Care LLC in Dania Beach FL, we are committed to preserving our client's vision. We can diagnose and help manage this condition that is often referred to as "the silent thief of sight." Read on to learn more about glaucoma and how we treat it.
Types of Glaucoma
There is not a singular reason why glaucoma develops. There are two main forms of glaucoma:
- Open-angle glaucoma: This form is more common and progresses slowly over time. Very subtle changes are often unnoticed, emphasizing the importance of an annual eye exam with an optometrist.
- Angle-closure glaucoma: While less common, this form is extremely dangerous. This occurs when the pressure in the eyes spikes quickly. As a result, you may experience severe symptoms such as eye pain, nausea or vomiting, or intense headaches.
Risk Factors for Glaucoma
The biggest risk factor for glaucoma is age, but it can affect anyone. Several individuals have an increased risk:
- Those with a family history of the disease
- Individuals with pre-existing health conditions (diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease)
- Elevated eye pressure
- Previous injuries to the eyes
Can Glaucoma Be Prevented?
Currently, there is no cure for glaucoma. Early detection is the most important aspect of managing it. If you are over the age of 60, it's important to have a yearly exam with an eye doctor. Any symptoms in the early stages are subtle and only a dilated eye exam allows an optometrist to examine the internal structures. To make glaucoma less likely, experts recommend daily physical activity, avoiding smoking, and eating a well-balanced diet.
Glaucoma can be managed with the help of an experienced eye doctor. Treatment options include medications, eye drops, and laser surgery. We will assess your condition and recommend the most effective treatment option for you.
Make an Appointment with Our Eye Doctor in Dania Beach, FL
If you or someone you know suffers from glaucoma, it's important to remember that treatments and management plans are available. While the disease cannot be cured, symptoms can often be controlled with medication prescribed by an optometrist. Call Vicle Eye Care today at (305) 935-4606 for more information on glaucoma or to schedule an appointment with our optometrist.